Reducing Fat from Meat
You don’t have to give up meat to get the heartburn prevention benefits of reducing fat.
- Use low-fat alternatives to ground beef, such as ground turkey, chicken or soy-based substitutes.
- Trim fat and skin from meat before you cook or eat it.
- Drain the fat when browning meat before adding other ingredients.
- Avoid goose and duck, which are extremely high in fat.
- If you are eating processed meat, such as hot dogs and lunchmeat, choose low-fat alternatives.
Reducing Fat from Dairy and Eggs
If you’re careful, your heartburn prevention regimen can include dairy and eggs.
- Wean yourself from whole milk and whole milk cheeses, moving from 2% to 1% and eventually fat-free skim milk.
- Try low-fat, reduced-fat, light or part-skim yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese and hard cheese.
- Avoid cream sauces, using skim, 1% or evaporated skim milk instead.
- Use egg whites in place of whole eggs (one whole egg equals the whites from two eggs).
Other Ways to Reduce Fat
Heartburn prevention tactics also include these additional fat-reducing tips.
- Bake, broil, roast or microwave instead of frying. Even when you fry, use a non-stick, low-fat cooking spray.
- Use wine, broth or fruit juice instead of oil-based marinades and basting sauces.